Highlights of the festival include a new multimedia production of Mozart’s Magic Flute directed by the US-American Roman Coppola, which was developed in cooperation with the Dresden Music Festival and Jan Vogler following the Volkswagen Group initiative, as well as the second edition of Cellomania, which invites to 19 concerts around the cello with Gautier Capuçon, Pablo Ferrández, Sol Gabetta, Jan Vogler and the “cello rock band” Apocalyptica, among others.
Renowned orchestras will travel to Dresden for a guest performance, among them:
– the London Philharmonic Orchestra with a commissioned work by Thomas Adès who will also be on the podium
– the Orchestra of La Scala, Milan, conducted by Riccardo Chailly with violinist Ray Chen
– the Vienna Philharmonic under Andris Nelsons
– the Chamber Orchestra of Europe under Simon Rattle with soprano Magdalena Kožená and tenor Andrew Staples
– the Budapest Festival Orchestra under Iván Fischer
Making their debut at the 2022 Music Festival are violinist James Ehnes, American singer/songwriter Raul Midón, soprano Patricia Petibon, pianist Alexandre Kantorow, British jazz, funk and hip-hop artist Kamaal Williams, multiple “Grammy” winner Angélique Kidjo & pianist Alexandre Tharaud, and conductor David Robertson.
More information can also be found on musikfestspiele.com.